Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 January 2014

Hobbits, Otters and Knobs

The Book not the Film
Last night me and Aimo went to see The Hobbit 2 - The Desolation of Benedict Cumberbatch.  (I don't see why he's so desolate - Sherlock was good and he does look like an otter.  Maybe he needs to spend more time as an otter: swimming, fishing, giggling.)  Anyway, back to the Hobbit 2 - because it's a bit old now, we were in a tiny screen with not many people.  As the credits started someone piped up: "Peter Jackson's a knob" and it wasn't even Aimo.

So I was wondering, when used in this context is it knob or nob?  Nob is an old word for a posh person, I suppose short for noble or nobility.  It kind of means the same as a knob which is a dick.  So is the spelling of knob (dick) knob with a K?  Like in Bedknobs and Broomsticks - rub your knob and go to another world. I love Bedknobs and Broomsticks.  We used to have it on video, but never got it on DVD.  Who wrote Bedknobs and Broomsticks?  Was it P L Travers?

Anyway, back to The Hobbit 2.  I enjoyed it sort of, and Aimo didn't fall asleep.  Maybe it was his outrage keeping him awake.  It's a funny thing about gendered outrage.  When I'm outraged at the Bank, I'm a crazy pyscho bitch; when Aimo's outraged on the phone to British Gas, he's a customer with a serious problem that really needs to be fixed.  So the boiler's finally fixed now, because they sent the serious engineer for serious customers with serious problems.  It's an ill wind I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment