Total Pageviews

Friday 17 January 2014

Chocolate Coins and Frank Sidebottom

Got the local paper (Buxton Advertiser) yesterday and spotted this headline:

Shock Story
I know it is actually serious when shop staff get attacked, and there was an assault, but it is a funny headline.  Come to Buxton! Get attacked with chocolate coins!  Buxton - where violence has a Christmassy flavour! 

Best wishes to the staff, hope everyone is okay.  Sorry we laughed at your ordeal.

Then I was in a bit of a papers mood and I checked out this article in The Guardian about Frank Sidebottom, the hero of Timperley, just down the road from Aimo's Flat of the old days.

I was a bit puzzled by this picture, in which Frank Sidebottom had a weird head on:

Weird Head?
"What a weird head",  I thought, "That doesn't look like Frank Sidebottom", who looks like this:

Proper Head
Then I read the story.  The top picture is from the Hollywood film, with Maggie Gyllenhaal.  Bloody Americans (Kate makes shaking fist gesture here)!  As if they could get Frank Sidebottom!  Every time you try to avoid clichés, and try not to say "Americans just don't get silly humour", then they go and do something like that.  How could they not reproduce Frank's head?  Don't they get that his Betty Boop head is really quite important to the joke and you have to get it right?  A large Lego head doesn't work.

Now I'm going to be cross all day.  Let's hope going for a walk with my dog friend (and his people) will cheer me up.  Toodles!




No comments:

Post a Comment